Pilgrimage to Miao Feng Shan
- Pilgrimage to Miao Feng Shan
- Alternative Title:
- Gamble, Sidney D. (Sidney David), 1890-1968
Introductory text by The China Institute in NY: Between 1924-1927, Sidney D. Gamble made three trips to Miao Feng Shan (Marvelous Peak Mountain), a popular Daoist pilgrimage site. Dedicated to the worship of the Goddess Bi Xia Yun Jun (Princess of the Clouds Before Dawn), the temple was located on a hill about 25 miles northwest of Beijing. Most worshippersmade the arduous three-day journey in the spring. Pilgrims went either in groups organized by guilds or temple societies, or on their own as individual penitents. Although the primary purpose of the journey was religious, Gamble's visual record illustrates that these pilgrimages also served a lively social function. Upon his return to America, Gamble edited the footage shot on one of his trips into a short 16mm documentary. We have re-edited his film slightly, retaining his original titles, and adding music.
In 1989, Pilgrimage to Miao Feng Shan was re-edited and a film score of traditional music arranged by Tan Dun was added. The film accompanied the first exhibit of Sidney Gamble's photographs China between Revolutions: The Sidney D. Gamble Photographs 1917-1932.
- documentary film
- Digital Collection:
- Sidney D. Gamble Photographs Collection
- Free Re-UseCC0 1.0
- Rights Note:
- In the course of acquisition Duke obtained rights to these materials. As of 2019, the underlying works entered the public domain in some jurisdictions, but are still protected in others, including the United States. To encourage reuse and avoid doubt, Duke hereby waives any intellectual property rights it retains in these materials under the terms of the CC0 waiver. We encourage collaboration with publishers and others who wish to create works based on these materials. Please see here https://library.duke.edu/rubenstein/research/citations-and-permissions for additional information.
- 全部资料落户杜克大学图书馆的过程中，杜克获得了这些资料的版权。截至2019年，这批资料在某些司法管辖区内已经进入公有领域，但在包括美国在内的其他司法管辖区仍受到版权保护。为鼓励这些资料重新使用并避免版权方面的疑虑，杜克根据CC0豁免条款的规定放弃这批材料的任何知识产权。我们鼓励与出版商和其他希望根据这些材料创作作品的人合作。更多详情请参考这里 https://library.duke.edu/rubenstein/research/citations-and-permissions。
- Sponsor this Digital Collection