This digital collection comprises selected materials from the following archival collection at Duke University Archives:
Collection #UA.01.02.0002 | 20.3 Linear Feet
In 1841, Trinity College in Randolph County, N.C. was first formally chartered as Union Institute formed by the Union Institution Society, a group of Methodists and Quakers. Braxton Craven became head of the institution in 1842. The school was rechartered in 1851 as Normal College, and its graduates were licensed to teach in the public schools of the state. In 1859, the name of the institution changed to Trinity College upon affiliation with the Methodist Church. John Franklin Crowell became president of Trinity College in 1887; Trinity College relocated to Durham, N.C. in 1892. This artificial reference collection consists of photocopies of correspondence, diaries, printed material, and articles dealing with Union Institute, Normal College, and Trinity College in Randolph County, N.C. English. Included are account books accounts of student "tuition & contingency," bible, book, boarding fees, paper, and ink purchases. Several volumes include the signatures of students. Roll books contain students' names, courses, attendance, assignments, and grades. Accounting for faculty fees and payments are also included.