No Re-UseIn Copyright
- Files (1)
- Please be patient with media downloads. They are often large files.
- Skip to Item Info
- Italy, 1959
- Margolin, Morris
RL10157-F16-0013 Italy, 1959 Reversal original, 16mm, sound, color 31.22 minutes
Includes narration and music. Structured as a story about the travels of a Simca, their rental car.
• Dorothy walks past young man getting water from pump, poses • Dorothy sits at sidewalk table at café • sidewalk and street scenes • close-up of church facade • Dorothy walks out of restaurant? • sidewalk and street scenes, including produce stand • Dorothy gets directions from man with a newspaper • Dorothy at produce stand • unidentified cathedral • Dorothy at newsstand near cathedral • houses on hillside, street scene • harbor, including docked boats • shops and street scene • Dorothy climbs into Simca car, waving • close-up on license plate of car • sign: Villa d'Este • car on shaded street • another Villa d'Este sign • landscape shot pans to car on shaded street • boat in harbor • Lake Como and environs • Dorothy walks through garden at Villa d'Este • small group of women walk toward parked car, the Simca? • cars drive down narrow street toward camera • Milan Cathedral, with plenty of pigeons outside • Dorothy and fellow travelers • building and parking lot • Dorothy and friends walk toward Museo Teatrale • sign: Museo Teatrale • advertisement for La Boheme at Teatro alla Scala • Milan City Centre: shops, Dorothy and friends, street scenes, fountain • exterior of arena in Verona • street scene • advertisement for Arena Verona • banner: "Arena di Verona - La Forza del Destino - Il Trovatore - Faust"; pans down to street scene • buildings, including Rolex sign • shops, narrow street • clock tower, street scene • statue fountain • Dorothy outside of a cathedral? underexposed • Verona city gate • street scenes, including street performer • statues on building • Dorothy sitting on bench in park, near fountain • exterior of cathedral • directional sign: Roma, Arezzo, Firenze, Il Campo, Duomo • woman walks by eating ice cream • narrow curved street, car drives toward camera • sign: "Costa Larga"; pans down to street scene • Dorothy walks toward "Ristorante," pans up to apartment buildings • Dorothy walks away from Ristorante, toward camera • city square • two women stand by fence near body of water • sign: "San Marino" • signs for restaurants, hotels • shots of Dorothy at Guaita fortress • aerial shot of countryside from Guaita • Dorothy with fortress in background, looking at guidebook • Dorothy at outdoor café table • two women walking up cobblestone street • Dorothy with countryside in background, Vespa? in foreground • Dorothy walks down narrow cobblestone side street • Dorothy near signs • streets crowded with shoppers, including Dorothy • statue and tower • Italian countryside • crowded street, two uniformed men walk toward camera • guards • flag • sign: visas • traffic cop directs (very little) traffic • guards near wall: S. Marino Italia • sunbathers on rocks at water • beach hotel and many umbrellas • beachgoers on rocks at water • water crashing against rocks, people swimming • bikini-clad sunbather reading • beach scenes • Dorothy puts on swimming cap and gets in the water • rocks, waves and beachgoers • marina with fortress in background, colorful apartment buildings, café chairs, boats • men walk by with luggage cart, boats in background • two women with a baby at café • marina, boats • colorful apartment buildings, pans down to boats • crowded street scene with sidewalk vendors, buildings • aerial view with water, buildings, mountains • ocean at sunset, boats and pier? • aerial view of water, town, mountains • colorful beachside hotel • sunbathers under umbrellas near hotel • city square, people gathered around outdoor theatre? • more shots of city square, including monks? and nurses? • monks? or friars? talking, sign in background: Otello • three women stand outside of souvenir? shop • men sit at sidewalk tables • close-ups of buildings on square • unidentified church • crowded (narrow) street scenes, near the city square • close-ups of couple on small balcony, architecture • adolescents hanging out, architecture • city square, Dorothy? crosses square and climbs steps to unidentified church • shots of church, Dorothy? enters • make-shift newspaper stand outside of church, headline about Eisenhower • Dorothy poses near well • Florence skyline from across Arno River; Dorothy enters frame, poses • view down the Arno River, including Ponte Santa Trinita and Ponte Vecchio • close-up of jewelry in window, pulls back to show Dorothy looking in at them • more close-ups of a jewelry window display • long shot of stylish woman in profile, baby toddles around and falls in background • shots, including close-ups, of stylish woman posing, model? • street scenes, some include Dorothy • Dorothy window-shops • Dorothy walks over to fenced bust of Benvenuto Cellini • sign: "A Benvenuto Cellini Maestro / gli orafi di Firenze" • Dorothy by bust, points, poses on bridge, sits on curb • Dorothy window-shops, camera pans to street, including woman with camera • Dorothy at window display of jewelry, points • Arno River, buildings, bridge • group waits in front of bus • close-ups of exterior of basilica Santa Maria del Fiore, glimpse of the crowd • woman in dress poses, model? • street scenes, including street vendors, street sweeper, horse-drawn carriage • crowd waiting outside building • Dorothy talks to stylish woman near car, model? • city square, including horse-drawn carriage • Dorothy walks out of shop • more exteriors of the basilica of Santa Maria del Fiore, including the dome • crowd, people pointing up • street scene, including traffic cop • exterior of Albergo Excelsior Italia, Dorothy talks to man in white uniform • smaller crowd outside of previously-seen building • directional sign: Pisa, Livorno; roads • countryside, bales of hay • leaning tower of Pisa and environs • street scenes near leaning tower, nuns and monks walk by line of souvenir stalls • more shots of leaning tower of Pisa • from tower, Dorothy walks toward the camera • buildings nearby leaning tower of Pisa, and the tower again • Dorothy waits in line at street cart near base of leaning tower of Pisa • group of monks walking away from camera • street scenes near leaning tower of Pisa, including priest riding bicycle • men in jester suits guard passageway • shots of St. Peter's Square, Vatican City • priest takes photograph for family • close-up on statue • young woman climbs onto motor scooter with young man • exteriors of St. Peter's Basilica, complete with tour buses • obelisk • fountain • columned promenade near St. Peter's Basilica • people exiting St. Peter's Basilica? including a Buddhist? monk and a fancifully uniformed man • close-up: Musei Vaticani • people entering St. Peter's Basilica? man perched near entrance • close-up on sign for Monumenti Musei e Gallerie Pontifici • people walk along Vatican wall, past street vendors • sign: "Only five hours from Rome visit Israel the land of the Bible" • buildings, street scene; nun in foreground before frame pans up • Vatican wall and Musei Vaticani archway with statues above, bus drives by, people come and go • Dorothy holds picture, stands in front of Vatican wall? • shot of Dorothy on sidewalk, under café umbrellas • pans to include sidewalk and café • underexposed shot, hard to see • skyline with palm tree in foreground, domes behind • Dorothy walks down curved outdoor steps • church? Dorothy enters frame, walking down steps • shot of Dorothy sitting on steps with church? behind her • Dorothy approaches and interacts with a group of people, perhaps a Jewish-Italian family? in rural setting • women hoe hay, other farmwork • woman walks toward building carrying container on head • chicken and her chicks • donkey with cart, occupied by small boy • men hang out under brick structure • woman walks down steps • street scene with café tables, woman carrying cargo on head, uniformed man • Dorothy (in two different outfits) outside unidentified building, probably in Rome
- 31.22 minutes
- Digital Collection:
- Morris and Dorothy Margolin film collection
- Source Collection:
- Morris and Dorothy Margolin film collection
- No Re-UseIn Copyright
- Rights Note:
- This material is made available for research, scholarship, and private study. Copyright in this material has not been transferred to Duke University. For reuses of this material beyond those permitted by fair use or otherwise allowed under the Copyright Act, please see our page on copyright and citations: https://library.duke.edu/rubenstein/research/citations-and-permissions.
- Sponsor this Digital Collection