USSR (Moscow, Kiev, Yalta, Sochi), 1958, 1964, 1967
- USSR (Moscow, Kiev, Yalta, Sochi), 1958, 1964, 1967
- 1958 to 1967
- Margolin, Morris
RL10157-F16-0012 USSR (Moscow, Kiev, Yalta, Sochi), 1958, 1964, 1967 Reversal original, 16mm, silent, color 35.56 minutes
The original film was labeled 1967, but edge code on the 16mm reversal original indicates that sections of this film pre-date 1967; more details are available on the film's Print Condition Report. It is possible, though, that the Margolins took more than one to the Soviet Union in the 1950s and 1960s.
• onion-domed buildings shot from across river • street scene, traffic • State Historical Museum, Red Square, the Kremlin • goose-stepping guards marching in front of Lenin's Mausoleum • long line outside of Lenin's Mausoleum on Red Square • Saint Basil's Cathedral • children wearing uniforms, holding red flags on Red Square • long line for Lenin's Mausoleum wraps around Red Square • school children walking in line • Tsar Bell • group of school children in uniform • Red Square • building with large columns • street scene, traffic • Moscow State University • view of Moscow from Sparrow Hill, Moskva River • sign: "Hotel Berlin" (also in Russian) • Hotel Berlin and environs • street scenes, including Dorothy • banner in Russian • street scenes, including Dorothy • park, food vendors • city square • entrance arch to the All-Russia Exhibition Center • Dorothy and fellow travelers • the All-Russia Exhibition Center, including sign in Russian • close-up on statue on top of entrance arch • scenes from the All-Russia Exhibition Center, including fountains, statues, architecture, red flags • photographer takes picture of fellow travelers • food vendors • wide promenade with entrance arch in the distance • ornate fountain • food vendors and hungry school children • more scenes from All-Russie Exhibition • sign: arrow points left, in Russian • Dorothy and friend? toward camera • close-up of building, the Bolshoi Theatre? • river scenes, including large ship, Neva River in St. Petersburg? • Bronze Horseman statue of Peter the Great, St. Petersburg • exterior of St. Isaac's Cathedral • street scenes, including historic architecture • construction workers spreading asphalt • exterior shots of the Hermitage • exterior of the Church of Our Savior on Spilled Blood, some scaffolding • architecture, street scenes • Neva River • Battleship Aurora, open to tourists • sailor walking away on sidewalk along the bank of the Neva River • Dorothy Margolin with guard outside of Peterhof Palace • Peterhof Palace gardens • school group touring Peterhof Palace gardens, close-up on faces of young boys • Dorothy poses with a group of schoolgirls • statue • kids play in fountain, sprinkler drenches garden • Neva River? • workers cultivate grass • Catherine Palace • older women sitting on bench outside of palace • restoration work performed on Catherine Palace • horse passes under archway • apartment building? • street scenes • St. Petersburg Mosque, ornate exterior alcove • gates to unidentified, passersby • Smolny Cathedral? • parking lot • unidentified yellow building behind trees • wide boulevard, possibly Nevsky Prospekt? • tracking shot along bridge over canal, Church of Our Savior on Spilled Blood in background • exterior of Kazan Cathedral • exteriors of Grand Choral Synagogue • woman pastes up street advertisements, street scene • statue of Lenin on pillar, flowers below, in Kiev, Ukraine • street scenes, architecture • four uniformed men walk by on sidewalk, high angle shot from upstairs window • woman painting wall • women working on railroad construction • street scene from inside car, framed by windshield • long shot of statue, from across the street • red building with explanatory sign outside • sidewalk scene, open yellow door (sign in Cyrillic) • sign: "Hashian" • sidewalk scenes • exteriors of St. Michael's Golden-Domed Monastery? • intercut with people on nearby sidewalk, inc. Dorothy and friend • open square, large group of people walking toward camera • exteriors Kiev Pechersk Lavra? • school children and others walk by • scaffolding and restoration work • landscape shots overlooking the Dnieper River, fade to black • man walks over to food stand? • sidewalk scenes, Kiev? • street musicians • sign in Cyrillic • blue building, unknown • two uniformed schoolgirls walk toward camera • long shot of Mother Motherland statue? from other side of hill • high angle shot of billboards • memorial statue and plaque: Cyrillic • workers digging in park • scenes of Park of Glory (Park Slavi), including Fallen Heroes Alley, fade to black • eternal flame at base of Obelisk of Glory, surrounded by flowers • view from base of Obelisk of Glory • street scenes as shot from the car, windshield and dashboard visible • exteriors of utilitarian apartment buildings, new constructions • memorial and surrounding greenery • sign: "Intourist [sic]-- Hotel-Restaurant -- Oreanda" • Hotel Oreanda, Yalta • women crossing street, toward camera; includes Dorothy • 1917-1967 anniversary banner for the Red Revolution on Hotel Oreanda • street food vendor • red flag flies among street lights • street scenes, inc. shot of Dorothy and Morris? • beach • Hotel Oreanda; Dorothy waits outside with friend • Dorothy and friend walk toward Livadia Palace • Livadia Palace architecture and grounds • sign in Cyrillic • Livadia Palace gardens and view of the Black Sea, includes shot of women working in the garden • Morris walks into frame and sits on bench • views of hillside neighborhood and Black Sea • Morris with Livadia Palace and Black Sea in the background • landscape • fade to black • white statues, museum interiors • white lion statue at Vorontsov Palace; Dorothy walks into shot • people working on gardens at Vorontsov Palace • Dorothy and friend? walk toward camera holding hands (multiple takes) • small group pauses at top of steps, gardener walks up • landscape shot of gardens and Black Sea, people sit on benches in foreground • Vorontsov Palace walls • sign related to 1917-1967 anniversary • food vendor • people gathering for group shot in courtyard • unidentified building • street and sidewalk scenes • indoor/outdoor food and flower market; seems rural • busts in park; fade to black • children eating ice cream cones on bench, Soviet era posters in background • ice cream vendor, children buy ice cream • garden square with memorial tree and flowers; sign in Cyrillic • hotel; very mod • landscape view of rolling hilltops • unknown rustic restaurant, park?; fade to black • unknown building; sign in Cyrillic • truck transporting logs drives by • Soviet advertisement, perhaps propaganda; in Cyrillic • statue in front of streetlight on road median • mod building, maybe a bus stop or convenience store? • farmland along river • dance performance in a theater • aerial view of city • Dorothy stands by a fence with a view of town in the background • Morris stands in same place with pipe in hand, waves goodbye
- 35.56 minutes
- Digital Collection:
- Morris and Dorothy Margolin film collection
- Source Collection:
- Morris and Dorothy Margolin film collection
- No Re-UseIn Copyright
- Rights Note:
- This material is made available for research, scholarship, and private study. Copyright in this material has not been transferred to Duke University. For reuses of this material beyond those permitted by fair use or otherwise allowed under the Copyright Act, please see our page on copyright and citations: https://library.duke.edu/rubenstein/research/citations-and-permissions.
- Sponsor this Digital Collection