France, Belgium, Switzerland, Austria, Italy, 1953
- France, Belgium, Switzerland, Austria, Italy, 1953
- Margolin, Morris
RL10157-F16-0002 France, Belgium, Switzerland, Austria, Italy, 1953 Reversal original, 16mm, sound, color 25.37 minutes
Includes narration and music.
• title card: "Characters? - And How - Dorothy Frances Sam" • map of Europe with title "Vagabonds 1953" • deck of ocean liner • interiors of ship • ship's crew working • life preserver labeled: "Ile de France / Le Havre" • man smoking cigar; interiors of ship • views of the ocean • deck of the ocean liner, Dorothy walks toward camera, poses, waves • interior of the ship, Dorothy walks toward camera • interior of the ship, Morris and Dorothy walk toward camera • three men (friends of the Margolins?) on deck of the ship • Dorothy and friend relax in lounge chairs on ship deck • Dorothy looks out at the ocean, walks to group and socializes on ship deck • Dorothy, friend and Morris walk down stairs to deck and toward the camera • Morris and Dorothy walk around on ship deck, up a set of stairs • Morris poses near railing, ocean behind him; smokes a cigarette • Morris walks around on deck with a friend, talking • Dorothy and others on lounge chairs • Dorothy poses near railing, walks around on deck • street scenes in Paris, includes shots of Dorothy walking around • sign: "Grand Marnier / La Maison du Café" • street scenes in Paris • Dorothy and friends turn around and wave at camera • building: Louvre; Dorothy and friends nearby • Arc de Triomphe and environs • man (Sam Rosenberg?) walks toward camera, wiping his face, camera in hand • woman (Frances?) walks across the frame • "former Russian countess" tour guide in horse-drawn carriage • scooter travels down narrow Parisian? street • Morris and Dorothy walk into the frame, cross street • Dorothy on roadside in rural Switzerland • Alps, Dorothy waves from below, fellow travelers nearby • mountain peaks, Rhone Glacier • scenic shots of the Alps, some with Dorothy • Dorothy and others stand near "former Hotel Grand Majestic Mattenhoffer" • street scenes of Interlaken, Switzerland • group climbs into car • snowcapped Jungfrau • street scenes of Innsbruck, Austria • Innsbruck railroad station • bombed out building near Innsbruck railroad station, Dorothy nearby • couple walks by wearing traditional Austrian clothing • jeep, American GIs? • more bombed out buildings • Dorothy walks toward camera, Tirol/Tyrol? Hotel in background • Dorothy and Frances? in horse-drawn carriage • exteriors of Palace of Franz Joseph • bombed out buildings, underexposed and dark • scenery, and horse, as shot from horse-drawn carriage • Dorothy at mountainside restaurant, aerial view of Innsbruck • visit to Vatican, includes Vatican Museum, Cathedral of St. Peter and St. Peter's Square • Mussolini's balcony • Monument to King Victor Emmanuel and Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in Rome • Dorothy outside castle in Bruges, Belgium • Manneken Pis in Brussels, Belgium • lacemaker tatting near store: Real Belgian Lace • Manneken Pis • city square in Belgium • Dorothy asks police men for directions • flowers market on the square • life preserver • return trip on Steamship Independence • close up: New York • Dorothy and others relaxing on the ship deck • narration snippet: "Enjoy yourself, honey. Just a couple of more days to go. You can still be a lady. And then back to scrubbing floors, scrubbing ears, and sending the kids off to school. Won't be long now, honey. Your holiday is over." • empty lounge chairs on deck • shots of the coastline of the Azores, Dorothy on deck • Dorothy walks to ship deck with binoculars, looks at Azores • more scenic shots of the Azores • Dorothy, friends and others lounge on ship deck • kids splash around in deck pool • aerial shot of deck pool • woman in bikini and high heels plays with a dog • ship arrives in New York, passes Statue of Liberty in distance • Dorothy poses with New York City skyline in the background • Morris ends narration with: "The bar is now open. You may continue drinking."
- 25.37 minutes
- Digital Collection:
- Morris and Dorothy Margolin film collection
- Source Collection:
- Morris and Dorothy Margolin film collection
- No Re-UseIn Copyright
- Rights Note:
- This material is made available for research, scholarship, and private study. Copyright in this material has not been transferred to Duke University. For reuses of this material beyond those permitted by fair use or otherwise allowed under the Copyright Act, please see our page on copyright and citations: https://library.duke.edu/rubenstein/research/citations-and-permissions.
- Sponsor this Digital Collection