Caustic pencils, undated
Free Re-UsePublic Domain
- Small JPG 400px
- Medium JPG 800px
- Large JPG 1,200px
- Full-Res JPG Original Resolution
- Please be patient with high-res and bulk downloads.
- Skip to Item Info
- Caustic pencils, undated
- A caustic pencil is a short stick of medication usually containing silver nitrate, used to cauterize skin, for instance for the treatment of nosebleeds, removal of warts, or pyogenic granuloma. They are not used as a treatment for minor cuts. A frequent source of confusion appears to be the difference between styptic and caustic pencils. Silver nitrate sticks are often used for hemostasis in medical situations where patients are not under general anesthesia, where electrocautery would be painful and inconvenient.
- medical equipment
- Digital Collection:
- History of Medicine Artifacts
- Source Collection:
- History of Medicine artifacts collection
- Anonymous Collection Artifacts
- The History of Medicine artifacts collection were received by the David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library as a transfer in 2011.
- Free Re-UsePublic Domain
- Adopted by Harsha Murthy T'81 in memory of M.S.N. Murthy, M.D.