[Apophthegmata Patrum], volume 2.
- 436 images
Free Re-UsePublic Domain
- All Images (436)
- Currently Displayed Image
- Small JPG 400px
- Medium JPG 800px
- Large JPG 1,200px
- Full-Res JPG Original Resolution
- Please be patient with high-res and bulk downloads.
- Skip to Item Info
- [Apophthegmata Patrum], volume 2.
- Alternative Title:
- Apophthegmata Patrum. Greek.
Forms part of the Kenneth Willis Clark Collection of Greek Manuscripts (David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Duke University)
Format: Manuscript codex.
Title supplied by cataloger.
Layout: Written in 1 column of 27 lines; unruled; the lines impressed by a wired frame as can still be seen on some leaves.
Script: The letter forms found here can be seen in manuscripts of the 17th-century but the pervasive rightward slant of the script indicates an influence from Western copperplate or from secular cursive scripts and suggests a somewhat later date. In a cursive modern Greek script, written in black ink with red headings. Additional headings in Arabic script, each attached to one of the major Greek headings, frequent in the first volume, less so in the second volume. Catchwords on every verso.
Decoration: Ornamental bar headpiece in red and outlined in black ink on opening folio. Ornamental red, black, or violet initials set in the outer margins.
Title cataloged from existing description.
Frequent additional Arabic headings suggest the book was used by a monastic community following the Greek Rite located somewhere in the Arabic-speaking country, possibly Syria, Lebanon, or Palestine.
Dated inscription on the first opening of 1788.
Paterikon in two volumes.
Binding: Both volumes bound in soft leather over boards; volume 1 in dark leather, volume 2 in tan leather, spine tops and some edges burst, covers and paper wormed along some margins and some gatherings loose.
- Desert Fathers--Quotations--Early works to 1800.
- Christian saints--Biography--Early works to 1800.
- Fathers of the church--Quotations--Early works to 1800.
- Spiritual life--Christianity--Quotations, maxims, etc.--Early works to 1800.
- Orthodox Eastern monasticism and religious orders--Early works to 1800.
- Asceticism--Early works to 1800.
- Manuscripts, Greek (Medieval and modern)
- Greek, Modern (1453-)
- 2 volumes (274; 214 leaves) :paper, illuminations ; 325 x 225 (250 x 152) mm
- Digital Collection:
- Early Manuscripts collection
- See catalog: https://search.library.duke.edu/search?id=DUKE006078575
- Free Re-UsePublic Domain
- Call number: Greek MS 101 B
- Sponsor this Digital Collection