[Liturgies of Saints Chrysostom and Basil].
- 170 images
Free Re-UsePublic Domain
- All Images (170)
- Currently Displayed Image
- Small JPG 400px
- Medium JPG 800px
- Large JPG 1,200px
- Full-Res JPG Original Resolution
- Please be patient with high-res and bulk downloads.
- Skip to Item Info
- [Liturgies of Saints Chrysostom and Basil].
- Alternative Title:
- Euchologion. Selections. Byzantine Greek. 1626
- Orthodox Eastern Church. Liturgy of St. Basil.
- Orthodox Eastern Church. Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom.
- John Chrysostom, Saint, -407.
Forms part of the Kenneth Willis Clark Collection of Greek Manuscripts (David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Duke University)
Format: Manuscript codex.
Title supplied by cataloger.
Layout: Written in 1 column of 15 lines; burnished on verso of each leaf using ruling board.
Script: Rounded, perpendicular minuscule hand in brownish-black ink. Frequent hooks on finial strokes, especially on lambda, nun, pi, tau, and chi. Uncial delta interspersed with minuscule form. From the Hodegon school, similar to hand of scribes Jakobos Archiereus and Lucas Buzae.
Decoration: Ornamental initials in deep reddish orange with elaborate branching scrollwork and foliate designs. fol. 1v: Portrait of St. Chrysostom in deep reddish orange and dark olive green liturgical vestments, with gilt background and red border, varnished; fol. 2r: rectangular ornamental headpiece, 46 x 77 mm. In pen, two rosettes shaded with cross-hatching encircled by foliate s-scroll; fol.35v: Portrait of St. Basil in dark olive green and moderate reddish brown liturgical vestments, with gilt background and deep reddish orange border, varnished; fol. 36r: Rectangular ornamental headpiece, 39 x 78 mm; in pen, three knotwork circles containing trefoil designs, connected by floriate designs with one extending from the center of the middle circle upward beyond the border.
Title cataloged from existing description.
Binding: Red morocco, gilt stamped with floral motives, border, central medallion of crucifixion (front), the virgin with child (back), and name Pappa Gabriel with date 1758 on lower front. Purple decorative endsheets with gilt embossed floral designs as bifolium at beginning and end. Printed leaves used in binding of front cover.
- Greek, Modern (1453-)
- 80 leaves :paper, illuminations ; 201 x 147 (139 x 98) mm
- Digital Collection:
- Early Manuscripts collection
- See catalog: https://search.library.duke.edu/search?id=DUKE006059027
- Free Re-UsePublic Domain
- Call number: Greek MS 095
- Sponsor this Digital Collection