[Breviary in Greek].
- 126 images
Free Re-UsePublic Domain
- All Images (126)
- Currently Displayed Image
- Small JPG 400px
- Medium JPG 800px
- Large JPG 1,200px
- Full-Res JPG Original Resolution
- Please be patient with high-res and bulk downloads.
- Skip to Item Info
- [Breviary in Greek].
- Alternative Title:
- Breviary. Greek. 1500
- Catholic Church.
Forms part of the Kenneth Willis Clark Collection of Greek Manuscripts (David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Duke University)
Format: Manuscript codex.
Title supplied by cataloger.
Layout: Written in 1 column of 8 lines.
Script: Written in a neat minuscule in a black ink; initials and punctuation in a bright red ink. There are 6 signatures of 49 leaves in Greek with alternating blue and red ornamental initials; 8 lines per page in a large flowing hand; one signature of 6 leaves in Hebrew; The first surviving signature, the sixth of the original manuscript, is headed by the title in alternating blue and red majuscules. The seventh signature of 6 leaves is written back-to-front entirely in a small neat contemporary Hebrew script. The final parchment pastedown bears two poems in Latin in 15th century batarde hands.
Decoration: Rubricated floret; beautiful ornamental initials in reds, blues and gilt in the outer margins.
Title cataloged from existing description.
The first five signatures, have been excised from the binding and are therefore lacking. The first surviving signature contains the Seven Penetential Psalms. This and the three ensuing signatures contain, in order, Psalms 6, 31, 37, 50, 101, 129, and 142, followed by three antiphons and a doxology. The fifth signature of 8 leaves, after rubrics and other sentences and canticles, contains the Greek version of the Magnificat and Nunc dimittis. The sixth signature of 8 leaves contains a doxology, a Sanctus, a Greek version of the Ave Maria glossed in interlinear Latin, followed by Pater Noster, Credo (Nicene), and Salve Regina in Greek. The seventh signature of 6 leaves opens with the scribe's Hebrew alphabet, the text to mid-signature comprises the Latin Ave Maria, Pater noster, Credo (Apostle's) and Salve Regina directly transliterated into Hebrew script; 4 fly-leaves, one page inscribed by an early owner, one with verses in Italian, and end paste down inscribed in Latin batarde.
Binding: Binding of 18th century calf, upper cover detached, one clasp preserved.
- Catholic Church--Liturgy--Texts--Early works to 1800.
- Catholic Church--Prayers and devotions--Early works to 1800.
- Catholic Church--Hymns--Early works to 1800.
- Catholic Church--Hymns--Hebrew--Early works to 1800.
- Breviaries--Texts--Early works to 1800.
- Manuscripts, Greek (Medieval and modern)
- Epigrams, Latin.
- Greek, Modern (1453-)
- 59 leaves :parchment, illuminations ; 131 x 86 (81 x 50) mm
- Digital Collection:
- Early Manuscripts collection
- See catalog: https://search.library.duke.edu/search?id=DUKE006051220
- Free Re-UsePublic Domain
- Call number: Greek MS 063
- Sponsor this Digital Collection