[Sermons on the Beatitudes (I-VIII)].
- 108 images
Free Re-UsePublic Domain
- All Images (108)
- Currently Displayed Image
- Small JPG 400px
- Medium JPG 800px
- Large JPG 1,200px
- Full-Res JPG Original Resolution
- Please be patient with high-res and bulk downloads.
- Skip to Item Info
- [Sermons on the Beatitudes (I-VIII)].
- Alternative Title:
- De Beatitudinibus. Selections. 1500
- Gregory, of Nyssa, Saint, approximately 335-approximately 394.
Forms part of the Kenneth Willis Clark Collection of Greek Manuscripts (David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Duke University)
Format: Manuscript codex.
Collation: Paper (Briquet 667), fol. 50 ; 1-5¹⁰ ; quires signed A-E by a later hand ; catchwords are written vertically in the lower gutter on the verso of the last leaf of each quire.
Title supplied by cataloger.
Layout: Written in 1 column of 24 lines.
Watermarks: All but one bifolium have the watermark of an angel within a circle with a quatrefoil extending from the top (Briquet 667); the remaining bifolium has the initials FR countered by an angel within a circle with a six-point star extending from the top (Briquet 649-656).
Script: The hand is a small, tight minuscule, leaning slightly to the right, with 42 to 44 characters per line, written in black ink. Headings in a bright red ink. The scribe has been identified as under the employ of Andreas Darmarios in Italy, by commission of Bartolomé́́ Llorente.
Decoration: Ornamental initials in deep red to deep reddish orange at the beginning of each homily.
Title cataloged from existing description.
Origin: Italy. See notes on script.
Saint Gregory of Nyssa's sermons I-VIII on the Beatitudes (Patrologiae Graeca 44, 1193-1301)
Binding: Nineteenth-century binding of tan calf; tooled in blind, panels on upper and lower covers with ornamental stamps in each corner and along spine; sewn on four double cords.
- Greek, Modern (1453-)
- 50 leaves :paper, illuminations ; 313 x 213 (222 x 138) mm
- Digital Collection:
- Early Manuscripts collection
- See catalog: https://search.library.duke.edu/search?id=DUKE006049762
- Free Re-UsePublic Domain
- Call number: Greek MS 047
- Sponsor this Digital Collection