Richard Lischer - "Ruth 1 - 4: Counterstory" (November 12, 2000)
Limited Re-UseEducational Use Permitted
- Files (1)
- Please be patient with media downloads. They are often large files.
- Skip to Item Info
- Richard Lischer - "Ruth 1 - 4: Counterstory" (November 12, 2000)
Sermon start time: (Part 1) 1:27. Sermon end time: (Part 1) 25:59.
This sermon demonstrates the power of God's counterstory to all of the world's stories--celebrating women despite patriarchy, celebrating foreigners despite xenophobia, inserting God's presence in the ordinary and mundane despite the world's obsession with power--and calls Christians to look for counterstories in the Bible, in the church, and in the world. (Abstract created by Duke Divinity School staff.)
Key quotation: "Whenever you hear the word 'cross' or 'kingdom,' know that you are in the presence of a counterstory that means to steal you away from the kingdoms of nation, power, success, and ego. The cross has a story to tell....a mighty God who visits only the poor and those who are vulnerable."
- November 12, 2000
- Lischer, Richard
- Liturgical Calendar:
- Ordinary Time
- Biblical Book:
- Chapter and Verse:
- Duke University. Chapel
- UA.17.01.0003 CS-1039
- Digital Collection:
- Duke Chapel Recordings
- Source Collection:
- Duke University Chapel recordings
- United States
- North Carolina
- Durham (N.C.)
- The Duke University Chapel Recordings were transferred to the Duke University Archives beginning in 1970.
- Limited Re-UseEducational Use Permitted
- Rights Note:
- This material is made available for educational and non-commercial use. This recording may contain 3rd party materials, such as music or readings that are therefore not covered by the license indicated here. Copyright in this material has not been transferred to Duke University. For other reuses of this material beyond those permitted by fair use or otherwise allowed under the Copyright Act, please see our page on copyright and citations https://library.duke.edu/rubenstein/research/citations-and-permissions.
- Sponsor this Digital Collection